Friday, January 12, 2007

Middle Age

"One of the hardest decisions to make is when to start middle age."

I guess age is all a matter of perception. Our 17-year-old son came home the other night to tell us at dinner about the coolest teacher at school. It turns out the cool teacher was a 20-something art teacher - of course. Later in the meal, he spoke about an old boring guy who teaches - what else? History. When we asked how old he thought the "old guy" was, he replied,"40 or 45."
My husband and I glanced at each other across the the table, mouths, I'm sure, attractivly ajar.
"What?" We stumbled out...He just went on with his story, too engrossed in self to see his father and I whithering from old age - right before his eyes - at the dinner table.
At the age of 17, the late 40's are ancient. Jacob is sure his history teacher lived through much of it....hmmmm.
Thirty was okay for me, but 31 made me start thinking about getting older. After all, this is the age your OB reminds you that your eggs have now shifted into old age and pregnancy can be chancier.
By 40, I was beginning to staart to enjoy the respect given to a maturing woman and starting to feel more like "myself."
50 is around the corner and I've found the me I had looked for so intently in the 60's. Why didn't anyone tell my generation that you found yourself in your 50's?
Life is fabulous for me right now - I have done as good of job as I can at my marriage, raising my children and being a good person. I can definitely tell you what I like and don't like, what my political views are and how to bake a kickn' turkey for the holidays. What I can't tell you is where I last put my car keys.
It doesn't matter though. My husband and I are starting to travel, have grandchildren and enjoy getting to know each other "post children." It is like dating again!
I can't tell you where middle age is - but I can tell you I haven't reached that point yet!

No comments:

ALWAYS HAVE HOPE     "But as for me, I will always have hope:   I will praise you more and more." Psalm 71:14    You know...