Thursday, January 11, 2007

Flattery

Flattery is something nice someone tells you about yourself that you wish were true.


Flattery makes me a little peeved at the speaker - it makes everything else they say suspect, even though I sometimes wished it were true.

Compliments, on the other hand, embarrass me. Psychologists would probably say I don't think I deserve it, but I'm not sure that theory is necessarily true. The Bible tells us to pray "in a closet" and an old adage tells you that if you do something good, (and I'm paraphrasing here), and you 'advertise' it, it negates what you've done.
I feel the same way about compliments. I think it makes me uneasy - as if someone speaking about a good quality outloud will make it vanish - or somehow diminish that which I can be proud of. I've struggled long and hard to be able to accept compliments graciously. I still sometimes fail, due to a loss of words and surprise.
This is not, from my observation, a personality trait uncommon to Christians.
Someday, with age and by grace, I will be able to gratefully accept that which is given freely out of love.

No comments:

ALWAYS HAVE HOPE     "But as for me, I will always have hope:   I will praise you more and more." Psalm 71:14    You know...