Monday, January 8, 2007

Creative Idleness

Rest is not idleness
and to dream is not a waste of time.
~Indian Proverb

Coming from the background I do, it is hard not to feel guilty when not in perpetual motion. As I've found through years of trying to 1.)Stay perpetually busy and 2.)Retain my sense of creativity, these two things are not mutually agreeable.
Instead, I now understand that my will and ability to take care of myself - all of myself - spiritually and physically directly impact and quality of my work as an artist.
Finding "resting time" though is not always an easy thing to do when raising a family, working, volunteering,etc. So...how do you feed your soul?
Long walks outside in the fresh air, knitting, reading something absolutely frivolous and fun, journaling, going to the gym...the list is absolutely endless.
My favorite way to disengage for a moment are unexpected - when a beam of sunshine shoots itself over your shoulder and you can't help but turn your face, eyes closed, towards the warmth. At these times, I sometimes feel as if God is reaching down from the heavens and imprinting himself in my mind and on my soul.
The gift of artistry is given by God,nourished by God and sustained in those precious moments we take to stop and hear his sweet, still voice.

No comments:

ALWAYS HAVE HOPE     "But as for me, I will always have hope:   I will praise you more and more." Psalm 71:14    You know...