Friday, March 16, 2007

The Good Samaritan

When Sympathy Isn't Enough
Sometimes, prayer and kind words alone don't cut it. We need to get our hands dirty to help others.
By Rick Rusaw and Eric Swanson


After completing my morning devotionals, I hopped on the computer this morning to find this quote with a short story attached to it, delivered to my inbox yesterday, but never opened. Reading the quote and story made me think about what we'd spoken about just the other day - good works getting us into heaven.
This reiterated the need for action on behalf of others by Christians. The beliefnet.com passage was quoted out of Romans, I believe, but I think maybe this brings us back to our early Sunday School teachings: The parable of the Good Samaritan.
If we, as professed Christians,see someone in need and quote Bibical platitudes, but travel on, our faith means nothing... it is empty.
Works and faith are so intrically intertwined that seeing someone in need, demands action.
Our faith calls us to action on behalf of others. Little things like stooping to pick something up for an elderly person, or visiting someone in mourning can mean the world to them.
Many clinics, food kitchens, shelters, etc. need volunteers to cut grass, man phones, check in patients, feed the hungry in YOUR area. Will you respond today? Make it a family affair. Let your children develop the sense of giving early and role model for them. We've volunteered many places as a family.The gift you give will be received with such joyous graciousness, it will make your soul sing!

No comments:

ALWAYS HAVE HOPE     "But as for me, I will always have hope:   I will praise you more and more." Psalm 71:14    You know...