Thursday, April 12, 2007

Liberation

FIRST STEPS OF THE DAY

As I take my first step,
My foot kisses the floor.
With gratitude to the earth,
I walk in liberation.

- Andrew Weiss


How many of us are truly grateful for what we have been given?

I have asked quite a few people lately if they feel they are an optimist or pessimist and I couldn't find one person who thought they were a pessimist - yet the negative language abounds!
If I had any influence over a day, I'd ban certain words and phrases -
along with their mindsets - phrases such as "I CAN'T," & "IF ONLY,"
"I'm NOT SMART (RICH, WHITE, BLACK, FEMALE, MALE, ) ENOUGH TO...,"
"It's Impossible!" Negative words such as stupid, bad,can't, never, etc. They all con notate a negative state of mind!
These phrases and words do nothing to benefit us, to make us see the possibilities instead of the imposibilities!
What you speak, you will think and what you think will become embedded
upon your heart.

If you make it a habit to speak & think positive,
happy thoughts, good and blessings will follow.
The impossible will
become possible and your earthly load will be lightened in every
context of the word; Many stresses will be obsolete and your brief stay
on this earthly vessel will be filled with kindness and cheer.
What would you choose - a life filled with possibilities, or impossibilities? Lightness, or Dark?
A brief tale of possibilities:
While my mother lie in a hospital bed,with a cancer that had jumped from her lymphnodes to travel and invade almost every area of her body, most notably, it
had spread up her spine paralyzing her, I never heard a discouraging
word pass her lips.
Just the other day my sister and I spoke about a scene that had
imprinted upon our hearts: Strolling into her hospital room for a visit, both my sister and I were surprised to see a new addition to her room: Mom had a chart - one she had made to track her PHYSICAL THERAPY and roped out her journey to BE ABLE TO WALK AGAIN!
I asked my sister what her initial reaction was and amazingly, it was
identical to mine - we had to squelch the rolling of the eyes and the teenager's monotone "right, mom..." that was on our lips.
Mom was smiling. She was
always smiling. She BELIEVED! I'd like to tell you that her belief
turned into a long and happy life, her children, grandchildren and
great-grandchildren by her side. I can't.
What I can tell you is that although she had faced the reality of this spreading illness in her body - and knew the consequences only too well,she faced those consequences not with despair or futility, but with hope, grace and determination.
Mom inspired others, but non more so than her own daughters. She
made her life happier, more content because she stayed in charge of her
illness - it never defined her or limited her dreams. In those closing moments of her life, she chose to model a strength of character I've rarely seen since.
As Christians, don't we owe that contentment, that joy for life to ourselves and to those around us?
Today, be truly grateful, open your eyes wide and drink in the wonderful abundances you have!

No comments:

ALWAYS HAVE HOPE     "But as for me, I will always have hope:   I will praise you more and more." Psalm 71:14    You know...