Monday, February 12, 2007

A Stranger's Kindness

A stranger's kindness spans the years!

As children, we are all taught the parable of the Good Samaritin. Few of us rarely put those words of wisdom to action in our own lives. During one of my darkest days, a group of men and women showed such love and kindness, it has rippled through my life and memories for more than 25 years.

Fleeing an abusive marriage and hesitant to confide in anyone and admit that things were perhaps not perfect in my life, I ran to the only person who I felt I could turn to without recrimination: my sister.
On the way from Southern California to South Carolina, by bus with an 8-month-old child in tow, I became seriously ill. I couldn't breath. I was nauseous and I was hungry. For the bus trip, (I believe it to be about 4-5 days), I had brought plenty of food, diapers, and formula for my daughter, but had only a few snack items for myself - and no money. I just had to get away!
By the time we reached Birmingham, Alabama for an extended layover, I got off the bus, hoping to get a drink of water and regain my equilibrium. Instead, station authorities became concerned and called 911.
Paramedics and firemen swarmed the bus station and I was the object of much unwanted attention as they administered oxygen and pleaded with me to go with them to the hospital. My breathing and vital signs were not stable. (Later, it would turn out I had pneumonia and would be hospitalized for more than one week to recover.)
I told them I would only go - if they could guarantee I could keep my child with me - she was young, the light of my life and we were in a strange city, surrounded by strangers and I was very afraid...I had taken a Marine's daughter across state lines and was sure he would follow.
Sadly, they told me the baby would have to go to foster care - and I would have to go to court to get her back when released! NO! I couldn't leave her - and I refused any additional help.
The bus was boarding and one of the EMT's asked me if I would like him to get me something to eat quickly to take back to the bus. No, I answered, I had no money, but thank you. Emt's carried the baby to the bus and helped me reboard with a few whispered comments to the bus driver before leaving. I remember feeling completely adrift and beaten down. Depressed, hungry and sick with another 2-days on the bus.
Minutes later, the EMT reappeared, food in hand.
I was over come with emotion - someone cared! As I began to cry, with his other hand, he withdrew money from his pocket and pressed it into my hand. The money - what seemed a fortune to me at the time - about $60 - was collected from the EMT's and Firemen who came to assist me in the first place!
Tears blur what I remember of this man’s face. What I do remember clearly, is the kindness and love of the civil servants from Birmingham; this is what remains after all these years.
What a beautiful testimony and gift was given to me that day!
I can't help but think this has a deeper life lesson for us all: When we assist others selflessly, in the course of a normal day, what lives on is not the clothes we wear, the car we drive or the amount of money we accumulate. What lives on - and is truly the essence of our faith - is the love we have shared.
In my walk, I strive to pass on the love shared to me; in the hopes it will ripple through someone's memory over time and create yet more ripples of love for someone else.

No comments:

ALWAYS HAVE HOPE     "But as for me, I will always have hope:   I will praise you more and more." Psalm 71:14    You know...